Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Administrative Nightmare Part 2,362

This has nothing to do with the trip to China but just thought I'd throw it in there anyway. This morning Jerome and I dropped off my nationality file at the courthouse. Unfortunately, all the judges are on vacation (!!!) so they can't deal with the file until September. This means that we have to once again go through the hell of getting me a residence permit since French nationality will not be granted to me by the time my current permit expires in September (fingers crossed that this is the last time!). So, I have 1 week to get all the papers together and get in touch with the people at the City Hall who have helped us in the past. Or we can stand in line all night long in front of the "Administrative City" so I can get in at 3PM the next day. I have little hope seeing as it is mid- July in France and most important people are on vacation.

By the way, I finished reading the food section of the Lonely Planet guide to China. Need to remember all the table etiquette - do not point the spout of the teapot at anyone because it's rude, do not drop your chopsticks because it's badluck, do not flip over your fish to get to the underside because you'll capsize the next boat you pass, and don't put the chopsticks straight up in your bowl of rice because it's a death omen. (I guess that also means not sticking the chopsticks in your nose or pretending they're really long fangs because it would be considered rude).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home